Reasons Why Proper Brushing And Flossing Are Essential
- Prevention of tooth decay.
- Prevention of staining.
- Prevention of halitosis (bad breath).
- Prevention of periodontal disease.
Proper Method For Brushing
The teeth should be brushed at least twice a day, ideally in the morning and before bed. The perfect toothbrush is small with soft, rounded-end bristles, and is no more than 3 months old.
- Always move your toothbrush in a short, gentle, circular motion.
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle when brushing. Try to get the bristle tips directly under the gum line.
- Pay attention to the details. Always try to brush the outer, inner and chewing surfaces of your teeth.
- Brush your tongue. This removes bacteria and will freshen your breath.
Proper Method For Flossing
Flossing is a great way to remove plaque from between the teeth. It is an especially important tool for preventing periodontal disease and reaching difficult areas that your toothbrush can’t get. You should floss on a daily basis.
- Use around 18 inches of floss. Wind most of it around the middle finger on both hands.
- Use a gentle sawing motion when sliding the floss between your teeth. Move the floss in an up-and-down motion while holding it against the tooth.
- Always remember to floss the backside of your tooth.